Friday, February 10, 2006

Poetry

Some of my favorite couplets..

Urdu comes first!

Tere vaade par jiye ham to ye jaan jhuuth jaanaa
ke khushii se mar na jaate agar aitabaar hotaa
Ghalib

Hindi: It was nightmarish to write Hindi script!!

Mere prabhu,
Mujhe itni unchain kabhi mat dena,
Gairo ko gale lagan a saku,
Itni rukhai Kabhi mat dena
AB Vajpeyee

English will be the next one!

Though leaves are many, the root is one;
Through all the lying days of my youth
I swayed my leaves and flowers in the sun;
Now I may wither into the truth.
W. B. Yeats

Farsi: I hardly understand the language. But Dual Language (Farsi + Hindustani) poetry by Ameer Khusro tops the list.

shabaan-e-hijran daraaz chun zulf wa roz-e waslat cho umr kotah,
sakhi piya ko jo main na dekhun to kaise kaatun andheri ratiyan
Ameer Khusro



Currently Listening to..

huzur is kadar bhi na itra ke chaliye,
khule-aam zulfe na bikhra ke chaliye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home